As predicted by our former (and i believe most loved and respected) president Dr. Kalam, next world war could be because of scarcity of fresh water…
Here are some facts that would make us believe that ..
*3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease.
*43% of water-related deaths are due to diarrhea.
* 84% of water-related deaths are in children ages 0 – 14.
*98% of water-related deaths occur in the developing world.
*884 million people, lack access to safe water supplies, approximately one in eight people.
*The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns.
*At any given time, half of the world’s hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from a water-related disease.
*Less than 1% of the world’s fresh water (or about 0.007% of all water on earth) is readily accessible for direct human use.
* An American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than the typical person living in a developing country slum uses in a whole day.
* About a third of people without access to an improved water source live on less than $1 a day. More than two thirds of people without an improved water source live on less than $2 a day.
* Poor people living in the slums often pay 5-10 times more per liter of water than wealthy people living in the same city.
* Without food a person can live for weeks, but without water you can expect to live only a few days.
* The daily requirement for sanitation, bathing, and cooking needs, as well as for assuring survival, is about 13.2 gallons per person.
* Over 50 percent of all water projects fail and less than five percent of projects are visited, and far less than one percent have any longer-term monitoring.
so think about these people before wasting another drop of that precious water…
(more posts coming soon..)